Thursday, August 2, 2012

Happy, Happy Birthday Carl!!


Last Saturday, Carl turned 39!  He has been talking for a few years about how he wanted a big party for his 40th, so I decided to do it all this year, as a surprise.  Before he got... old.

He thought we were going to dinner with friends on Friday night and then to a Neon Trees concert.  He thought he was going mountain biking with a friend on Saturday.

He thought wrong.

On Friday night, when we showed up at the restaurant, to meet our friends, instead he found a table with his sister, niece and brother.  His brother lives in Denver.  They haven't seen each other in 4 years.  Carl was confused.  So confused, he forgot to sit down.  For quite some time.  I finally said, "he flew in for your birthday.  And your other brother (who lives in So. Utah and he hasn't seen in 4 years either) comes in at midnight."  Carl, "nuh- uh".  Me, "uh- huh.  sit down".  He sits.  "But, what about [our friends]?"  Me, "they are at [another restaurant].  They were in on the secret and told you the wrong one.  We won't be making it to the concert either."

And that's how it began.

The other brother arrived at midnight and they made it home by 1:30 am.  We left the house the next morning at 9 am.

Of course, Carl didn't know what the plan was until we arrived.

We went paint balling with his brothers and some of our best friends.  I got hit in the head, 3 times.  (It hurt really bad, all three times.)









Then all the guys went wakeboarding on our friend's boat while I stayed home and worked like an organized tornado.  When the guys showed up at 6:30, they house was decorated and full of people.  We yelled surprise but he came in through the garage door instead of the front door.  We made him go back out and come in the front door.  Then we yelled surprise again.  We spent the evening talking, playing yard games, eating yummy foods and drinking drinks that don't go in sippy cups.  It was awesome.



His brothers flew out on Sunday morning and I took a long nap after church.  Because I was exhausted.  Because I am an awesome wife.


Happy Birthday Carl.  I love you.  (next year you just get a cake.  :)


0 comments: