Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Tribute to My Papa

We love you. We will miss you. But, we know where you are.

My Papa, Lester Thurman Carroll was born on October 17, 1927 in Horry County, SC. He is the oldest of 3 boys born to Thurman Carroll and Eva Leta Buchanan. His father was a cabinet maker and his mother was a homemaker and occasionally a cleaning lady. He married his sweetheart, my grandmother Barbara Jacqueline Bone on August 31, 1946 (my birthday). He fathered four daughters and two sons, who gave him 25 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren (the youngest two were born in the last week... and someone correct me if those numbers are wrong.) In addition to being the daddy to six kids, he also served in the Navy which allowed him to travel to the Philippines. When he was younger he earned money by delivering papers and groceries, but he supported his family by laying countertops. My Papa was a wonderful example of a hard worker. He was always busy with something.

I remember as a little girl, him helping me put my socks on. His hands were so rough and calloused that they would snag and pull my socks. I remember thinking that he must have worked really hard in his life to have hands like that.



He left quite a legacy, my Papa did. He became a sealer in the temple, where he was able to marry 10 of his grandchildren in the temple for time and all eternity.

I love you Papa. May you watch over us from the other side. Tell her I said hi.

more tributes to my Papa
Laci
Kelly
Caitlin

Here's his obituary which is beautifully done. The fact that my brother and all my cousins are the pallbearers is really hard for me. It makes me feel like my Papa was old. I guess he was.

4 comments:

Laci said...

Wow. I love all of those pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Lauren said...

Okay, I didn't cry until that last line... I don't even remember your mom and I miss you, too. Love you!

Lauren said...

I mean I miss her.

Heidi said...

Oh Shay, I'm so sorry!