The snow started on Sunday- after church, of course. It continued on and off for days. By Monday night, we had a good 3 inches, that was enough to close school on Tuesday, luckily Monday was already a holiday. By Wednesday afternoon, we were up to 6 inches. That closed school for Wednesday and Thursday. The pass 40 minutes from our house had accumulated 32 inches, which meant Carl and Bryant were going to have fun this weekend if they can get to snowboard lessons.
We spent Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday rotating between sledding, wii and a sporadic amount of board games. Luckily my kiddos have great snow gear, so when they go out, they can stay out for quite some time. Of course, my front entry way looks like the explosion of snow gear, but at least there is room to dump it and let it dry off. I cleaned the house (since the house cleaner couldn't get here. bummer.), painted my nursery, painted the switch plates in my nursery (I began to get bored), did ALL the laundry in the house, looked up new dinner recipes, bought new snow gear online (REI has a great deal on their BOG boots). The kids faired pretty well. Every night they've gone to bed hearing, "no school tomorrow."
Thursday is when the freezing rain started. Carl's VP sent out an unprecedented email telling everyone that the roads were too icy, just stay and work from home. It was too miserable to play outside and the ice/snow covered trees are pretty dangerous anyway ( a guy in our town has already been killed by a fallen/broken tree branch).
The power went out at about 8 am, but the generator kicked in within 45 seconds and the whole house lit up again. It is 1:30 pm and I can still hear the generator going, so the power must still be out. We are kinda tucked back in the trees, so our power will be the last to come on. I can see reports all over the Puget Sound, 20 minutes aways to 2 hours away, that power is out there too. Puget Sound Energy just reported 200,000 power outages. They are saying it will get worst before it gets better. The airport was shut down this morning.
But, we are warm, we have tv, wii, computer and plenty of food, so we'll weather the storm well. I guess I should go play some board games with the kiddos and then we'll settle down to a pay per view and I'll work on scrapbooking. I did just ask Carl when he's going to pretend like we don't have a generator, like the rest of work collegues, act like his computer battery died and just play with us.



0 comments:
Post a Comment