
On Tuesday, Rylan went in for hernia surgery. I noticed his groin would periodically appear swollen soon after he was born. I could feel a bulge and hear a squish if I gently pushed on it. It didn't seem to bother him but I mentioned it to his doctor as one of his check ups. She couldn't see it but sent us in for an ultra sound anyway. They couldn't see it and it went away- for years- until we started potty training. And then I saw it again.
Of course it still didn't present itself when we were in for a check up, but she sent me to a surgeon anyway. The surgeon didn't see it, but scheduled him for surgery anyway. So, as we went in for surgery on Tuesday, I kept thinking that I was the only person who had ever seen it and here we were. But, I'd seen it.
Rylan did great (although it was quite tough watching him go under in the operating room- I had to put my tough face on). When the doc came out after surgery, he said there had been quite a substantial hernia (HA!), but everything went well and it was all good now.
Rylan slept off the anesthesia in my arms and after an hour woke up, ready to go. He loved the popsicles in the hospital and the chicken and fries on the way home. He watched tv on the couch with me for a couple of hours and then when his brothers came home, was running around and jumping off the furniture. Its amazing how these little guys bounce back.
Good thing too, because in January, we have to go back in for eye surgery.
8 years ago



2 comments:
Good job mama. I'm glad everything went well.
Well, Rylan your grandma Peggy had eye surgery when she was not quite as old as you. And, it was so much worse than your hernia surgery (also, Papa had hernia surgery two times. The second time he had double, one on each side. but he was a big man when he had those), and then about six months later she had more surgery to have her tonsils taken out. Are you trying to follow in her footsteps? Don't. No fun for moms.
Glad you did so well.
Love you all very much.
Great-grandma
Post a Comment